From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
[The following call for action and fundraising appeal was issued by the Research Institute for Turkey, Bostonbul, GIT North America, and concerned academics from the United States and Candada.]
There have been several crackdowns on academics in Turkey. Many have been detained, jailed, and even dismissed from their posts through statutory decrees. Among them are the “Academics for Peace,” who signed a declaration for ceasing human rights violations in the Kurdish provinces. Signed by 2,212 academics in Turkey, the declaration is supported by 355 international scholars. As of March 2017, at least 383 signatories have been purged from their jobs, banned from traveling abroad, and denied recourse to legal dispute. During this difficult time, these scholars have to support their livelihood and families.
To show solidarity with the affected academics, Research Institute on Turkey and Bostonbul, both 503(1)c non-profits, GIT-NA and concerned academics in North America are launching a campaign to raise an initial fund of $105,000 and to support about 35 academics for 6 months over minimum wage. The funds will be fully allocated to financially support the Academics for Peace through close collaboration with Education and Science Workers’ Union, Egitim-Sen, and other associations which are actively assisting the purged Academics for Peace at the local and international level.
Here is how you can help:
- Donate at this link. There is no small amount. All donations are fully tax deductible within legal limits. Your employer may match your donation -please use the name Research Institute on Turkey, Inc. with Tax ID # 81-4004031. For more information please see here, talk to your HR Rep, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Forward this link to your network and encourage them to get involved.
- Tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RIoTurkey/status/841720000293527552
- Share it on Facebook: https://goo.gl/JjEZU9
Recent Posts by Jadaliyya Reports
- The Syrian Uprising Six Years On: Causes, Dynamics, Prospects, GMU Lecture by Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad Mar 21 2017
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus Mar 21 2017
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf Mar 18 2017
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status Mar 17 2017
Quick Thoughts is designed to provide our readers with background and analysis on topics in the news. We take our cue from current events, and ask informed observers to provide short-form commentary and context. The focus of Quick Thoughts is on the Middle East, but the column is intended to be global in reach. Send your commentary to info@Jadaliyya.com
"The apparent expectation was that the protestors would be silenced.. But something unprecedented happened. With each wave of police assault the crowd multiplied, and the stage was set for the most extensive popular uprising against the AKP government."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
- دورنا في صناعة الظلام
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (January 23- March 5)